Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I live in a Condo in Columbia SC. My Sister-in-laws car was

I live in a Condo in Columbia SC. My Sister-in-laws car was towed from the parking lot. My neighbor had the car towed because it was partially in one of his two parking spots. His car was parked in 1 and a half of the parking spots. The reason for this is that he backs his car in at a 45 degree angle. The cost of the towing was $195. The car has sustained at least $1500 dollars of damage due to the tow. My question is: Did my neighbor have the authority to have the car towed and who is responsible for damages?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Did my neighbor have the authority to have the car towed and who is responsible for damages?
.
If the car was encroaching on the neighbor's parking spot, then technically this would be considered a trespass to property and would give the neighbor the legal right to have the vehicle towed off his property (or the property he has a legal right to use).
.
If the car was damaged during the tow or in transit, then it would be the towing company who would be liable for any damages. While they can legally tow the vehicle, they have a duty not to damage it in any way and can be held liable for negligence if they cause any damages to it during the tow.
.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.