Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I found out today, July 10, 2013, I am being sued by Bank of

Customer Question

I found out today, July 10, 2013, I am being sued by Bank of America. I don't understand the reasons as they say I owe them 1053.00. I don't know what for as there were never any services provided to me by Bank of America except a checking and savings account. There has never been a loan, no credit cards, no financing in fact I still have a Safety Deposit Box with them. Further, no information or contact has ever been made by the bank to me for any type of questions, request for payment or statement saying I owe them money. The arbitration firm is in Greenfield, NC and they are who called me today. Is there something that I need to do because it was further told me that I can not have contact with the bank, there is some type of restraining order forbidding me to talk to them. Has this type of situation been addressed by any person associated with this site?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. This is likely a total scam. There would be no restraining order in effect against you without you having been made aware. This is likely a continuing of the efforts of unscrupulous collection agencies and attorneys to collect amounts not even due. But, you can get this stopped. Send them a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining that you have no knowledge of any such debt and demand that they provide you evidence of both the debt and their ownership rights with respect to the debt which would give them the right to collect. Also demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt other than to respond specifically to your demands. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine, so that should be the end of things for you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will go to my Post Office to see if the "so called" paperwork is there and to further understand what it is I am being accused of. At that time I will contact you and let you know either way, whether it is an actual legal matter of as you said a "scam". Thank you for your time and I will contact you tomorrow.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for following up. I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow! Have a nice evening.
Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There has been no further contact from this company nor have any documents been received by me. I have not pursued this any further and won't unless contact is made again by them. Thank you for your answer. The original fee paid is all the money I can afford at this time, hopefully it is satisfactory. I will keep your response in my files and should this problem arise in the future I will follow through with your recommendations.

Cynthia L. Haltom

Customer@g mail.com

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for following up with me. It's been my pleasure to be able to help you and if you need help in the future, I look forward to hearing from you! Take care and have a great weekend!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Your attitude is greatly appreciated in this world of somewhat less than considerate people. I realize your position with regard to helping others is critical, especially with all the technology which surrounds us and continues to develop even further. Taking the time to be nice when responding to any question put forth in kindness is taken with sincere gratitude.

Cynthia

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the kind words! You've made my day! I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to level the playing for people that would otherwise not have access to the legal system. I'm also blessed you are one of the people I've been able to help. :)