Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Im a single female who has been convicted of transaction card fraud. I have been giv

Customer Question

I'm a single female who has been convicted of transaction card fraud. I have been given my civil and voting rights back. The state of GA requires you to have 3 references in order to restore my rights to own a fire arm, I can only find 2. In the mean time is there any weapon I can purchase to at least protect my home from all the recent home invasions! Conviction was 1991
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately until Georgia restores your gun rights, you have no Federal gun rights either, so there is no standard firearm that you can use to protect your home.

However, Georgia does allow felons to hunt with muzzleloaders. Under Federal law, these are the types of antique firearms or replicas are exempt from firearms laws and would be allowed to you:

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16) the term “antique firearm” means —

"any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica —
is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition.

For purposes of this subparagraph, the term ‘antique firearm’ shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon, which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

Hope that helps