Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

In California can the home refuse to rent to a registered sex

In California can the home refuse to rent to a registered sex offender
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is yes.

California law protects several groups of individuals from discrimination when it comes to housing - these are called "protected groups" are include: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical conditions related to them, as well as gender and perception of gender), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of income , disability, medical condition or mental or physical disability, and personal characteristics, such as a person's physical appearance or sexual orientation that are not related to the responsibilities of a tenant.

Government Code Sections 12926(p), 12927(e), 12955(a),(d), Civil Code Sections 51, 51.2, 53; Harris v. Capital Growth Investors XIV (1991) 52 Cal.3d 1142 [278 Cal.Rptr. 614]., Government Code Section 12955(m), Civil Code Section 51..

Federally, the Fair Housing Act of 1968 and the federal Fair Housing Act Amendments Act of 1988 prohibit discrimination of the following: race or color; religion; national origin; familial status or age—includes families with children under the age of 18 and pregnant women; disability or handicap, or sex.

However, the list both on a state and federal level are not all-inclusive. Sex offenders (as well as generally those with a criminal record) may be discriminated against in landlord/tenant issues. So the discrimination against a sex offender is lawful - it is "lawful discrimination."

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

If this is not what you had wanted to hear, I am sorry. Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)