P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

My neighbors and I are in a fued. They are now telling all

My neighbors and I are in a fued. They are now telling all of the other neighbors that I am a petifile and that I peak in there windows. What can I do???
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

What you describe? If your neighbors are lying about you, and those lies are harming your reputation? That is considered defamation, and you can sue to recover any damages you suffer as a result.

Under the law, if a person lies about you, and as a result of the lies, your reputation is damaged, you can sue them for the harm you suffer.

Now...to sue them you would have to retain an attorney. It is not possible to file a defamation suit in small claims court. So there is a cost associated with filing suit. But if you can prove they are lying about you, and that it is harming your standing in the community, that would be the basis for a defamation suit.

You may want to let them know if they do not stop you will sue them.

If they continue? Consider having a local attorney file a defamation suit against them

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to help if I can
Sir

I am disheartened that you provided a bad service rating. Not sure why...you asked a relatively simple question, and I provided an accurate answer.

I depend on this as a source of income for my family. Poor ratings impact my ability to help folks like you.

If you are not happy with the answer please let me know how I may better assist you

Thanks

Phil