How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33261
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can A Gps Device Placed On A Car Be Traced Back To The Owner

This answer was rated:

Can A Gps Device Placed On A Car Be Traced Back To The Owner Of The Device And Is It Legal To Do so

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Are you asking if it is legal to trace the GPS unit to its owner or is it legal to use a GPS device to track someone?


Sorry, Did Not Know How To Respond To Your Answer. If Someone Places A Gps Tracker On Your Car Can You Identify

JD 1992 :

The only way to track the GPS device itself to find out who owns it is to subpoena the records of the company that made it or where it was bought and they may have that information. There is no other way to find it.

JD 1992 :

As to whether it is legal, in VA it is not illegal to place a GPS tracking device on someone else's vehicle. There was a law they tried to pass in VA last year but it did not pass and they haven't proposed it and passed it again this year.

JD 1992 :

I would ask you to consider changing the rating you issued earlier. A "Bad Service" rating tells the website that i didn't try to assist, was rude, didn't answer your question, was unprofessional, etc. I understand that you didn't mean to us that since you weren't sure how to respond but if you change it now to a Positive Rating it erases the negative one.

Dwayne B. and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.