Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My general contractor sent me a contract for construction two

Customer Question

My general contractor sent me a contract for construction two small offices in my coomerical location. I would like some to view the contract for my protection. Will I be able to send it online for one of your lawyers to review it?

Lobsang Rapgay
San Fransico
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post, Lobsang,

My apologies but we here cannot fully evaluate or review your contract for you as that mae be considered representation and would violate site rules. But you can posts specific sections or conditions of the agreement for evaluation, and that I would be more than happy to assist you with. Would that suffice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you respond to the following issues:

1) The contract states "All workmanship is warranted for 1 year". Does a one year warranty sound acceptable

2) The contract states "Dispute or claim will be decided by binding arbitration" I imagine this is not a problem

3) The contract states " that if contractor, subcontractor, laborer or supplier if not paid they have right to place a lien on the property" Is there anything I can do to protect myself

4) If the general contractor has purchased worker’s compensation insurance specifically for our project, will that cover injuries and claims by subcontractors, laborer or suppliers. Or do I need each sub-contractor to have worker’s comp or is that something that the general contractor takes care of.

5) Should I have a clause added about if general contractor or sub-contractor commits a error in construction, he or she will be responsible for the correction

6) Should I add a clause asking the general contractor that he or she will pay the sub-contractor on time and ensure they have workers'comp

Thank you very much.

Lobsang

Lobsang,

Thank you for your follow-up. Please allow me explain below:

That is typically an industry standard. You can ask for more but almost all professionals provide a limited 1 year warranty.

That may be a problem, instead of going to court you would need to hire your own arbitrator, your own attorney, and have this arbitrator act as the judge and make decisions. At times binding arbitration ends up being more expensive than court, but at this point those clauses are almost a given.

That is a builder right. Other than paying on time, this condition really cannot be bypassed.

Excellent question, ask if the policy is an 'umbrella coverage' type or specific to the contractor. The former covers all, including sub-contractors that the builder may bring on-board.

You can, although this is likewise understood in the industry as a fact of business. Still, to ensure that the parties agree and know their own liabilities it may be wise to do so.

That you cannot, what you can do is your can add language stating that if the sub-contractors place a lien or encumbrance against your property for any reason pertaining to general contractor behavior (such as non-payment), the general contractor agrees to indemnify you (cover the costs) and likewise cover your attorney fees.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question, the contractor told me that he will not hire any subcontractor for the construction project and that he has worker compensation insurance but it does not have umbrella coverage.

Is it ok if I ask him to add a clause in the contract saying that he will not use subcontractors for the project and that his worker comp insurance will cover all laborers he involves in the project, and that the owner has no liability in case of any injury to anyone working on the project.

Will that clause protect me in case of an accident or injury? Is the above wording legally adequate if it will protect me.

Lobsang

Thank you for your follow-up.

What you are asking is commonly known as an 'assignment clause', or a request that he not assign any part of the work to someone else. You can add language stating that no part of the project be assigned to third parties without your knowledge and permission (which you would not have to provide). Such a clause would potentially protect you from further liability.

Good luck.