Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

paul, I sometimes cant help but wonder what you must think

paul, I sometimes cant help but wonder what you must think of me. If I declare bankruptcy, will I still be able to use the two cards I have zero balances on
Thank you for your new question. I enjoy you as a customer because you come with very short and to the point questions and not a convoluted story without even knowing what questions you are asking.

If you file for bankruptcy, the bankruptcy trustee would require surrender of all cards, even those with zero balances and even if they did not do so, as soon as the bankruptcy showed on your credit report those credit cards would cancel I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Paul Iam actually holdng my financial ground pretty well, my credit rating is 1 point away from being good. None the less, if I would declare bankrupcy and my wife and I names appear on the same card billing, how would that effect her?

Thank you for your response.

A disadvantage would be that debts where spouses are joint and severally liable for payment will remain with the spouse who has not filed for bankruptcy. However, the filing of bankruptcy by one spouse will not affect the other spouse’s financial situation, including credit rating.