socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Can I sell liquor cakes over the internet without worrying

Customer Question

Can I sell liquor cakes over the internet without worrying about interstate liquor laws and without a liquor license for my state (AZ). The liquor is cooked in both the cake and the glaze. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

The answer is that every U.S. jurisdiction has different alcoholic beverage laws, and under the 21st Amendment, each state is entitled to control the sale of alcoholic beverages within and entering its territorial boundaries.

Thus, for each jurisdiction into which you intend to market your product, you must follow that state's rules on liquor-enhanced food products.

The only way to definitively answer your question is to contact the liqour regulatory agency in each state and obtain an answer for that state.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you suggest the proper way to word my questions to each state liquor board, so I receive the accurate information? I feel I got a rather ambiguous answer the first time.

To whom it may concern:

I am interested in importing into your jurisdiction a dessert product which has a measurable distilled liquor component of approximately X Proof. I am seeking the appropriate license to accomplish this purpose, and I would appreciate specific direction so that I may properly comply with the law of your jurisdiction.

Sincerely,

[name], Title
[business name]

Hope this helps.