Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I had a compnay work on my vehicle. Within 1 week of them working

I had a compnay work on my vehicle. Within 1 week of them working on it while driving on interstate 95 in RI the front driver side wheel came off ( they replaced a bearing on this side) causing extensive damage to vehicle. Fortunetely I was not hurt in accident. Question is even tho I was not hurt would I have a case for a monetary settlement from them for their negligence. They did repair vehicle
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What evidence do you have that the wheel of your vehicle came off directly based on this auto shot's negligence or failure to perform proper repairs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They were the only one's to work on the vehicle and I have the paperwork that tells what they did.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, the simple fact that the shop has done repairs on your vehicle's wheels, does not serve as proof that they had done anything wrong.

The only way you might have a legal claim against the auto shop that has worked on your vehicle, if you can show to the court by clear and convincing evidence that it is due to the shop's negligence or substandard repair that your wheel came off when you were driving on I-95 one week later and there were not interfering factors, such as some rocks or bumps on the road that might have caused the damage.

It can be difficult for you to prove this fact if you decide to pursue legal action against the shop and you would have to have some type of written opinion from an independent licensed / certified mechanic who has inspected your vehicle after the crash and has determined that this shop in fact did not properly install the bearing or were negligent in some other way, which was direct cause of the accident.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a police report to show the extent of the damage and can verify that the road was smotth and no bumps or such. Also the tow truck driver saw the vehicle and in his opinion the lug nuts were cross threaded. Does this help

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, you would have to get some written opinions from the independent licensed / certified mechanics which would state that the shop did not do proper work and there were no other interfering factors that could have caused this mechanical breakdown.

Tow truck driver's testimony and police report could be used as supplemental evidence in the court case.

I wish you the best of luck!