Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

We are a small used car dealership in California. We need

We are a small used car dealership in California. We need to do some collections lawsuits and found a note that we can only sue 2 times per year for over $2500 according to this website - http://www.riverside.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp/civ_smallclaims.shtml - is this accurate or is this for individuals? i cannot imagine that Chase or Wells Fargo or even a furniture store or check cashing place could survive with just two in a year. Is this limit enforced?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

You can sue more than twice a year you just can't sue, unrepresented, in small claims court as a business more than twice a year for more than $2500.

JD 1992 :

If you want to sue more than that you have to hire a lawyer and sue in a higher court.

JD 1992 :

The reason is that small claims court is designed to settle disputes quickly and easily between people and isn't supposed to be used as a collections court.

Customer:

Wow, that is terrible. Suing in a higher court costs thousands per case, so the crooks get away with everything because people like me won't pay those fees for a chance to get something from some con artist...sounds like a screwed up system to me.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that point.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.