Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

Can I represent myself in a civil trial?

Hi, and Welcome,

You can represent yourself in Court, but be sure that you know the Rules of Civil Procedure because everything has to be done within a certain time frame and you do not want to take a chance on losing on a technicality because you did not file or respond to something within the required time period,

____________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible to request additional time at a trial to get legal advice?

Hi, Marcia,

Are you referring to asking for an extension of time within which to file a responsive pleading, or asking for time during a trial or hearing to confer with a lawyer ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Asking for an extension to file a responsive pleading.

If you are served with a Complaint and you need more time to prepare an Answer, you would first ask the opposing Attorney for an extension of time. If he refuses, you could ask the Court for more time to prepare and file your answer. The Court always expects the parties to cooperate among themselves and give one another the courtesy of an extension of time. That is usually the case, but once in a while I come across an Attorney who does not give this professional courtesy. If that is the case, then I do not give that Attorney any extensions of time if he might need it for anything in the future,

_______________________________________________________________________

ANDREA