Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

Im looking into buying a condo for my son to live in. He just

I'm looking into buying a condo for my son to live in. He just got out of the military recently and im trying to help him get a start in life post military. He was recently convicted of exploitation of a minor and placed on the sex offender registry. Unfortunately he made a big mistake in his life surfing the internet and visiting websites of pictures of minors. He did an extensive evaluation ordered by the court and considered a very low risk. He is following all terms of his probation and taking resposibilities of his actions. Unfortunately we have run into problems finding a place to rent because of the nature of his crime. If I buy a condominium for him to live in can the HOA evict him because he's on the sex offender registry?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If you were to buy a condominium unit and have your son live in it as a renter, you would do best by reading the By-Laws first to see what restrictions, if any, they have on renters which an owner can have. If the By-Laws prohibit renting to someone who must register as a sex offender, they can evict your son and penalize you also,

I realize that this is not exactly the Answer you were hoping for and it would have given me great pleasure to give you the Answer you wanted to hear, but I have an ethical obligation to you to give you only correct Answers and information, so I am respectfully asking that you not hold the law applicable to your situation against me,

____________________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would if he bought the Condo himself and he was the person that owned the condo then can they evict him.

If your son bought the condominium, the HOA could not do anything because he would be the owner,

_________________________________________________________________________

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just want to be 100% sure before we make a big purchase. I'm not sure he would qualify for the loan himself so I would either be a co- buyer with him or a cosigner on the loan for him. Would the same law apply that they can't evict him cause of the sex offender registry and the nature of his crime if he owns the property and I'm a cosigner or co-buyer on the loan? His name would stilI be on the loan as an owner but he would live there by himself since I already own my home that is my resident. Another question is: Is it even possible for him and I to buy a propery together that only he lives in while I live in my own home that I own now?

If you want to be 1,000% sure, you should read the By-Laws of any condominium that you are seriously considering making an offer on. Although I have never seen this restriction in any By-Laws as to who can buy a condominium in their community, you can never tell, and the only way to be sure is to read the By-Laws.

As for being a co-buyer, each lending institution has their own rules. The only way to be sure is to tell the lender that you will be a co-signor, that way you are telling the lender up front that you will not be living there. However, you should know that being a co-signor will make you just as liable on the note as your son. If you want your son to have priXXXXX XXXXXability, then you should be a "Guarantor" which means the lender can only come after you if the primary borrower (your son) does not pay,

____________________________________________________________________

ANDREA

I see that you have had the opportunity to review my Answers. Is there something that I can clarify for you? If not, please be kind enough to rate my service to you so that I can receive credit for researching your question and furnishing you with Answers and information, otherwise I will not receive credit for assisting you. The deposit you made is with JustAnswer and it will not cost you anything additional to rate my service to you, but without a rating, I do not receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you for understanding

_________________________________________________________________

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still have a question and then I will rate your service. If my son's name is XXXXX XXXXX morgage as a co buyer and he moves into the condo and there isn't anything in the by laws restricting him from living there based on the sex offender registry and the nature of his crime, can they add it to their by laws after his purchase and evict him? If I have any more questions regarding this issue am I entitled to email you in the near future and ask or do I need to pay another $36? Thanks so much for all your help and I will rate your service once you have replied!

The condominium cannot amend their By-Laws to specifically exclude your son. If there is nothing in the By-Laws when he buys the condo, then he is on pretty safe ground because they cannot do anything "retroactively". Any deposit you made was with JustAnswer and it does not cost you anything additional to give the expert a rating. The Terms of Service state that a customer makes a deposit with JustAnswer and posts their question. They receive an Answer from the expert and if there is something in the Answer that they do not understand, they can ask a follow up question for clarification at no additional charge. A question which is not asking for clarification is a new question, even if it is on the same subject as the original question, and must be posted on a new question page with a new deposit.

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.