Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

I clean houses for military, on base or off. I was contacted

I clean houses for military, on base or off. I was contacted by a woman that needed me to clean the home she was renting. she had to move because the homeowners decided to short sale the home and she was moving into another rental. After the cleaning was completed, my client failed to inspect my work before contacting the property manager. My client also didn't let me know when the property manager was doing her walk through inspection. My employees and I want to be present during any inspection so we can correct any errors found on the spot. During the inspection, my client just randomly started sending me texts of our mistakes. I wasn't able to call the client because I was doing a routine cleaning of another client and didn't want to draw attention to the issue. I texted my employee and asked her to fix the mistakes. Once my employee arrived at the address she immediately attempted to clean up our mistakes, but the property manager and client wouldn't allow my employee to fix any of our mistakes which would have only taken a few minutes to correct. The property manager said that "she was in a hurry" my employee offered even pleaded with the property manager but nshe wouldn't allow her fix any of our mistakes during the inspection or come back during a later day or time. My client called me after the inspection letting me know that she had hired the property managers cleaning company to fix our mistakes, even though we more than happy to fix our own mistakes in the spot or even come back when it was more convenient for the manager and client. My client asked for her money back despite our attempts to fix our mistakes. I don't have any written contracts stating I would refund anyone for anything. I want to know if she's entitled to a refund?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

If you cleaned the client's property and all there were was a few loose ends and they did not allow you to correct them, then they are not entitled to any refund. Since they did not allow you to correct anything they found wrong, then they cannot expect a refund.

______________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The client wants to pursue legal action. Is there something I can show her in writing stating that she's not entitled to a refund.

If she sues you, your defense will be that you cleaned the house completely, but when the client complained she would not give you the opportunity to correct what she found objectionable. Since you do not have anything in writing stating that there are no refunds, the Judge will apply the principles of "Unjust Enrichment" and "Quantum Meruit" which means that if the client were to receive a refund in full she would be unjustly enriched in using your services and not paying for them. Quantum Meruit means that each person should be paid for the work that they have done, so if the Judge feels that her claim has some merit to it, the Judge might award her what he feels her claim is worth. For example, if the Judge believes that you did 90% of the work, he might award the client 10% refund of what she paid you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! That helps tremendously.