Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Does having signing rights on a checking acct. in my 39 yr.

Does having signing rights on a checking acct. in my 39 yr. old sons name constitute any ownership by me and hence might be leined in the state of NC?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you own the account jointly or are you his guardian or trustee on the account?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tina,

No, the acct. is not joint nor am I his guardian or trustee. I want to simply have check writing status. Our bank, TD, offers this option, as many do. We are doing some business together and can't allow 2 judgements against me to impede our prospects

Thank You,

I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals to get their opinion. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active, or rate this question yet as it would then discourage others from answering. Should a professional pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying a response from someone else.

My apologies for any inconvenience and Good Luck.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

New expert here – I am glad to assist

Signing rights without ownership interest would not allow judgments against you personally to attach to the account. Only assets that you own may be attached. Rights confined to that of a signator does not give you ownership interest

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"