Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

For Indiana courts, if multiple parties from multiple states

For Indiana courts, if multiple parties from multiple states are seeking relief through injunctions against defamation of character by a defendent based in Indianapolis, how as plaintiffs could we be sure we are choosing an appropriate venue ? Would there be several legitimate, appropriate small claims courts venues or other venues and who in the Indiana legal system would decide whether we have chosen an appropriate venue when we file ? Thank you.
Thank you for your question and for asking for me.

Venue for small claims would be the city where the defendant is located, because you are dealing with personal jurisdiction over the defendant and small claims court has a limited jurisdiction and cannot extend out from beyond their borders.

The legal system does not choose your venue for you. I am afraid you must choose your venue and for small claims, to obtain personal jurisdiction over the defendant and subject matter jurisdiction over the defendant, you have to sue them in the place where they are located.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In Indiana Small Claims courts is an "intention to file" or other preliminary step required before filing a suit ?

Thank you for your response. I apologize for the delay as I was out of town with a client matter and could not get to respond to customers.

No, in Indiana there is no intent to file or other preliminary step to filing suit in small claims.