John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

Can SSA deny my disable sister SSI because of bad credit (defaulted

Can SSA deny my disable sister SSI because of bad credit (defaulted credit card)? She says this is the case and wants me to pay off her debt on the card so here SSI will be approved.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

You are right to believe that you are not being told the truth. It is not true. You cannot be denied SSI or Disability for having bad credit. SSI and Disablity has nothing to do with your credit and they do not even check your credit history in the review process.

In fact, most creditors do not even have a right to garnish those incomes because they are for the disabled and destitute only.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

Can you provide some SSA federal regulations code or other written reference that I can print out and refer my sister to. Or some where on the SSA site that it states this?

Best,

Fred

Unfortunately there is not a cite for a negative. There is nothing in the SSA Program Operations Manual "POMS" that instructs a caseworker to review a credit history. Credit worthiness just has NOTHING to do with SSI eligibility. There is no reference to credit worthiness in the manual or SSA regulations.

You may be able to take your sister to the social security adminstration and ask a caseworker about her credit card debt affect on her eligibility with your sister there. The caseworker will tell you the same thing I am. Credit debt has nothing to do with elibility.