Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I had a car wreck in November of 2009. I was convicted of DUI

Customer Question

I had a car wreck in November of 2009. I was convicted of DUI in May 2010 and served all my requirements. When I was in the hospital, a physician went to PennDot and had them indefinitely recall my license for 4 things. Three of the items had to do with orthopedic or head injuries but the 4th thing regarded substance abuse. I have everything squared away but no doctors will touch the fourth medical form pertaining to substance abuse. I have no idea how to solve this.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will do my best to help.

What specificaly was the issue pertaining to substance abuse? Could you specify so I can best assist, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was in the hospital being treated after an accident. When I was brought in unconscious they took my blood. I had been drinking the night before and was above the legal limit. I then went to another hospital 2 weeks later to rehab my broken leg. While I was in there, a doctor, I believe she was a ward psycholog

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had blood drawn when I was unconscious and it was tested at .20 BAC. I ended up in another hospital rehabbing my leg. While there, a ward psychologist, who I spoke to once for about 5 minutes, reported me to Pennedott, indefinite medical recall, for loss of consciousness, head injury, orthopedic injury and substance abuse. The other things are resolved yet no doctor seems to want anything to do with the fourth form.

Brian,

I am still unclear--the 'substance abuse' that you were reported for was alcohol, correct? it was not any other drug or controlled substance? Was this your only DUI or have you had others in the past?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only alcohol. I had dui in 2006 and one in 2009.

Brian,

Thank you for your follow-up. Now I understand, this was your second DUI and you received an enhanced penalty because of it. The 'substance abuse' issue can only be resolved with evidence that the abuse has now been controlled. That may involve visits to a psychologist or medical professional, evidence of attending support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous, and obtaining other assistance of similar vein. Then, once you can show that you have taken on this issue directly, you could meet with the medical doctor, who could then potentially diagnose or go on record that you have taken owner of these problems and are no longer in a position where you have this as a viable concern. This is quite likely why no doctor is willing to involve themselves yet, they want to see evidence that there is progress in this instance.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's what I thought. The fact that physicians with little contact with a patient can make the decision to revoke is nuts.

Brian,

I am sorry for that, truly. This is a situation where doctors have no real choice but to report, I am afraid. Please try the options I suggested, as that is the only real option remaining to you at this point.

Good luck.