TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Can a family member (not on contract) cancel a weding reception

Can a family member (not on contract) cancel a weding reception hall contract without the signer's authrization?

Thank you for your question.

Under general contract law, a family member is a third party to a contract that you sign. A third party has no right to cancel a contract.

Thus, in your case, a family member who is not the person who signed the wedding reception hall contract has no right to cancel that contract.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would I have any recourse if hall never contacted me to inform that contract was cancelled?
Yes. If the hall cancelled the contract based on a third party family member's request, then the hall has breached its contract with you. You can sue the hall for breach of contract and ask for damages you incurred as a result (i.e., your expenses in having to book a new hall and any costs related to changing the date if you are forced to).
Please let me know if you have any further question.

Please also do not forget to rate my answer positively. I'm not paid at all until you do (the website keeps all your money).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, here is a brief background: Fiance and I agreed to postpone the wedding, she informed her family, her mother called multiple vendors to cancel without my authority (and to my knowledge, without my fiancé's). When I called to officially cancel, they advised me that it had already been done. The reception hall did not contact me to confirm this cancelation, and did not contact me to advise me that it had been done.

My question is, what would my options be?

Well, in this case, the question is whether or not you have a viable claim. If you were going to cancel the contracts anyway then you have not actually been damaged.

Thus, your claim would be for nominal damages only, which does not provide you with any monetary relief, only a judgement stating that they should not have cancelled the contract without your authorization.