How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27025
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My wife and I divorced several years ago. In our divorce

This answer was rated:

Hello, My wife and I divorced several years ago. In our divorce agreement, I promised to settle her delinquent credit card accounts. At first I did not have the money to pay them off. Recently I had some more money and attempted to settle her accounts but the collection agency wouldn't speak to me without her authorization. I facebooked messaged her and emailed her to please contact collection agency and give me authorization, but she has ignored me.

Bu here is the bigger problem and the essence of my question. She promised to pay off her private student loans I had cosigned. It amounts to 80k dollars. She has since defaulted on the loans and the collections agency are now contacting me and my family. My family wants me to sue for breach of the agreement. My question (in several parts)

Can and should I sue her now if no money has been taken from me yet?
If she has no money (which I believe is the case) is it still worth suing her?
What legal steps can I take to protect myself for getting my bank account seized?
If the credit card debt has been written off or reduced into a settlement offer, could she counter sue full the original amount?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

1. If the divorce decree states that she would pay the loans, and she hasn't, she is in contempt of court. You could get an order that she is in contempt and punishing her for not paying, but it's not a separate lawsuit. It goes back to the divorce court judge. If the decree doesn't require her to pay, then you can only sue once you are legally harmed, which is after you end up paying money to the student loan company. A suit now would be premature.

2. It depends. If she doesn't have the ability to pay, the judge won't hold her in contempt of court. Judgments are good for many years, though, and they can be renewed, so if she is ever likely to have any money, you may be able to collect at some point.

3. Since you co-signed the loan, as between you and the loan company, there is unfortunately not anything that you can do.

4. She could try to do a counterpettion for contempt, to which you could produce evidence that you were trying to pay but needed her assistance and she refused to provide it. That should defeat her petition, as far as fines or other sanctions. The judge could order her to cooperate, and then give you additional time to pay.

The other option is to file a Motion to Modify Divorce Decree, explaining the situation to the judge and asking that you be allowed to put the money you were to pay on the credit cards on the loan instead.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I think i understand, but


1. I don't have 80k to give the student loan companies. If they sue me, what would I do, sue her?


2. What is involved in motion to modify the divorce decree?


3. If the student loan companies sue me, what can they legally do to me? What can they take away property wise? What else can they do?


Thank you. You have been very helpful thus far. I will rate you positively. :)

1. Yes. You'd be able to get a judgment for any monies you had to pay them. However, as you noted, that's not worth a lot if there's no way to collect from her.

2. All you have to do is say what the decree currently says, explain why it's not working (especially since you need her cooperation and she's not giving it) and ask that he change it. Then, attach a copy of the judgment so the judge doesn't have to go looking for it. The court actually has forms for modification on their website.

3. In Massachusetts, they can put a lien on your house and wait for you to sell it, but there's a lot of protection that would stop them from foreclosing on your primary residence unless you have a significant amount of equity. They could seize your tax return if these are federal student loans, or levy your bank account (including joint accounts) if they aren't. MA law also allows them to garnish 15% of your post-tax wages, as long as you make at least 50 times the minimum wage. G. L. c. 246, Section 28. If you make less than 50 times the minimum wage, your wages are exempt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Thank you again. Sorry to keep asking follow up questions.


1. They are private loans, not federal. How can they levy my bank account? What is the process like? How much advance notice will I have? can they take everything?


2. We were divorced in MA. But now she lives in VA and I actually live outside the US, but still have a US bank account with money in it. Could they stop me from say buying a house when i come back to the states? Thank you again, you have been great. The best expert I've ever used, and i have used quite a few.....

I'm happy to answer follow-up questions for you.

1. With private loans, they need a judgment first. You do not get advance notice - that would defeat the purpose, because if someone knows a levy it coming, they'll withdraw the money first. You'll know about the judgment, because they have to sue, but you won't know about the levy. They'll just send a notice to the bank, the bank will freeze the account, and they'll withdraw all available funds and send them to the loan company. The bank has no ability to refuse to do this and is not allowed to tell accountholders until after the levy is in place. They will take whatever is in the account, and can do it more than once.

2. A judgment can hurt your credit, which can make it more difficult to get a loan to buy a house. They can't per se prevent a house from being purchased, but depending on what state you wind up in and whether you are living in the house, they might be able to put a lien on it and take the property. And, if you happen to have enough money to buy a house sitting in your account when they levy it, they'll take everything up to the $80k owed.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27025
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.