Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

1. How do we change a public defender who shows more interest

1. How do we change a public defender who shows more interest in prosecuting me than defending me.

2. I suffered a head injury while in police custody which has affected my memory and I have severe headache on a daily basis since the incident.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry about your unfortunate situation.

Basically, if your public defender is incompetent or simply is not providing you with the adequate legal representation, you would have to file a Motion with the court to remove the current public defender and to appoint another one.

In your motion you would clearly state your reasons for your request to substitute your public defender and the judge will review your motion and will make a decision.

If you had suffered a serious head injury while in police custody due to some type of police brutality or excessive force, I would suggest that you do consult with a local personal injury attorney who can evaluate your case for a potential legal claim against the police department.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The accident was not due to police brutality, but due to a freak accident and I am not to pointing fingers at the police department. As time has gone on I am having a lot of difficulty just remembering anything. I can't remember things in my past or present and I am afraid it could affect my trial.

Thank you for your follow up.

You would not be forced to testify at your own criminal trial and also it would be a good idea for you to document this memory loss issue and your attorney can introduce at trial or at the pre-trial hearings, if your local attorney determines that revealing this memory loss issue would be in your best interest.

I am once again sorry that you are in this difficult situation and I wish you the best of luck!