CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I am considering starting a new service business, I would be

I am considering starting a new service business, I would be the owner and would contract with 2-3 attorneys to provide legal advice and legal services for a specific group of clients in the property world. I am semi-versed in this field, but not an attorney.

How could that work with me not being an attorney? I would market & sell our services to customers, the attorney's would consult clients and handle their legal efforts and lawsuits.

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would like to assist you in this matter. Unfortunately, as you are not an attorney you could not provide this type of legal services to the public. For public policy reasons attorneys are prohibited from going into any sort of business with non-attorneys where their practice of law may be affected by the ownership or business interests of the other person. This has no personal implications, but is a rule of professional conduct and rule of ethics by which all attorneys are bound.

Customer:

Ok...I thought there might be an issue. What other methods could I do this if I had the open help from the attorneys?

William B. Esq. :

You may have attorneys give advice so long as they do not have their legal practice controlled in any way by the partnership or business interest you have with them.

Customer:

Ok, so I could take my clients issue to the attorney who could best service them, along with my help, work a commission deal with the attorney. Does that seem like it would work?

William B. Esq. :

Unfortunately there is no way that relationship would be permitted.

William B. Esq. :

(Dear Customer, I must exit our chat, I can pick up our conversation later or refer you back to other experts who can assist you, I do apologize for the inconvenience).