Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

Is it legal to collect social security disability benefits

Is it legal to collect social security disability benefits concurrently with disability benefits from an after taxes paid commercial policy???

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Have you reported the income from the private policy to the SSA?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

social security disability

Normally a recipient of social security disability benefits may also receive benefits through a private policy at the same time. Recipients of SSDI will likely lose their eligibility for such benefits though since SSDI is based on need and other income will be included in determining the recipients eligibility for such benefits.

The private policy may reduce the benefits payable where the beneficiary has other sources of income, but it is not typically unlaw for a disabled person to receive both types of benefits.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.