Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

3 years ago myself and ex wife was investigated for abuse allegations

3 years ago myself and ex wife was investigated for abuse allegations my step son made from late 1990's. Sheriff's investigated and closed it since there was nothing to back anything up. They did at that time tell me it could be reopened. I found out that a BCI investigater has reopened it to look at it 2 weeks ago. They have talked to her and some family but not to me yet. My question is why would it be reopened, and should i talk to the ivestigater or go thru an attorney.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

How did you find out that criminal investigation was reopened?

What agency is investigating the case?

What was the nature of abuse allegations?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They talked to my ex wife last week and some family members. She thought she said she was from state attorney generals office. the abuse allegations were sexual and phisical

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did the alleged abuse take place in Michigan?

How long ago this alleged abuse take place and is the alleged victim 21 years of age yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ohio. 14 to 15 yrs ago. I think he is 27

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

There is a 20 years criminal statute of limitations in Ohio for the state to bring forward criminal charges for any type of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor child (any time you are absent from the state of Ohio would toll the SOL), so the state prosecutors / DA is well within the statute of limitations to bring this very serious felony sex crime charges.

Unfortunately, if the investigator works for the Ohio DA office, it would only mean that this can be related to the case being reopened for potential criminal investigation and prosecution and not for any type of civil lawsuit, as DA or law enforcement agencies do not investigate civil cases.

This is an extremely serious matter and I would strongly urge you to consult and retain an experienced Ohio Criminal Defense Attorney to represent you in this matter and not to speak to anyone about this alleged crime, without your Ohio attorney being present, as anything that you say can and will be used against you in am attempt to build a criminal case against you and to pursue criminal charges against you.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions for me.

Dear XXXXX,

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not at this time. thanks you for your advice

Dear XXXXX,

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in a case like this, even if the state has nothing what are the chances they pursue it. I have a large business therefore I will retain an attorney to cover all bases and protect interests.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

It is very difficult to predict whether the state would pursue any criminal charges against your or your ex-wife, as such decision would depend on the physical evidence, eyewitnesses, etc...but if Ohio does pursue criminal charges, the prosecutor would have to prove in court beyond a reasonable doubt, that you had committed such heinous crime, which is a tough burden to meet for the state, especially if there is no real evidence pointing to the crime.

I wish you the best of luck!