Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am on court probation.(for having

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am on court probation.(for having a fishing knife in my glove) I recently applied to work at a medical marijuana dispensary as a delivery driver.I am a medical marijuana patient as well. Say if I ever get pulled over by law enforcement it is a given that I will be searched. What could I say to the police officer to make everything run smoothly when he pops my trunk and sees a bunch of pot?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be glad to assist you with your question, but need a bit of information from you, if you do not mind,

1. In what State do you contemplate being pulled over ?

2. Are you referring to local police officers or Federal ?

Also, if on the State level, which County ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in redwood city California . So I believe that is San Mateo county.. I'm not worried about the Feds just the local town police and sheriffs. I'm delivering along the peninsula
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For a legitimate company.

Connor,

Who told you that you would be immune from arrest and prosecution if you were found with more than would be necessary for personal use ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is part of my job why should I be getting arrested? I am delivering for other medical marijuana patients! I too am a card holder. Just to make the situation easier. Hypothetically if I were to get pulled over, and the cop notices I'm on probation. He is going to search me. I was wondering what I could say to him to make him understand what I'm doing is legal and I know what I'm doing/talking about. Sorry for the errors I'm using a droid to type this out.

Hi, Connor,

I consulted with a California criminal defense attorney whose practice concentrates on medical marijuana defenses and he says that delivery of medical marijuana is still a grey area in California. A job in which you would be delivering a small amount of marijuana from one dispensary to patients of that particular dispensary (and not transporting pounds of marijuana from say, the growers in Northern California to dispensaries in Los Angeles) will probably not get you into trouble. You should make sure that the dispensary for which you are making these deliveries have secured local permission so that you can carry that information with you in case you get pulled over. He said that trying to explain the legality of your delivery to the local police is not going to get you very far, even if you hold a medical marijuana card for yourself. It is best to carry the dispensary's local permission information with you because that will speak volumes and why take a chance on trying to explain your way out of it, if you can simply show the local police the dispensary's permission to deliver to patients and you work for the dispensary,

______________________________________________________________________

If I have not Answered your question completely, please use the "Reply" button to let me know and I will be glad to explain further,

Please be kind enough to give me a positive rating so that I will receive credit for researching your question and assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.