Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

My brother had a stroke and can not speak or walk. he is rehab

My brother had a stroke and can not speak or walk. he is rehab and will be there for
100 days. My brother has 4 children and two x's. we want to move him to his own
house that he recently rented out in San Pedro (rent control area) and the party has an
adult that is really sick.
can we break the rental contract (6 years) as an emergency for my brother to move in
and hire caregivers and I am being appointed as his conservator by the Los Angeles
I would really appreciate your help in answer, thank you... Carmen Leone

Hello. I'm truly sorry about your brother's situation. Although one might think otherwise due to the circumstances, unless the lease provides the landlord with the right to cancel for an emergency, neither your brother nor his caretaker has the legal power to cancel the lease and force the tenant to move. You must wait until the lease expires and then give the tenant an adequate notice of non-renewal if your brother still needs to live there at that time.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.