Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Following my 1st personal training session I suffered Rhabdomyolysis

Following my 1st personal training session I suffered Rhabdomyolysis and was hospitalized for 3 days. I will have a hospital bill. How do I proceed to get my personal trainer (or his insurance) to pay that bill?

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Do you know if your trainer carries insurance? For your purposes, it does not impact whether you can sue or who you should sue, but it may impact your ability to recover your damages.

Customer:

I do not know if he has insurance. I know he is certified and it is his own business.

TexLawyer :

OK. Are you planning on hiring a lawyer?

Customer:

I will if my case is legitimate and I end up with a big hospital bill.

TexLawyer :

Ultimately, the question that must be answered is whether the trainer's actions were negligent. That is, would a reasonable trainer have asked you do to the same exercises, considering your physical condition and limitations (if any).

TexLawyer :

Generally, this is a question a lawyer would consult with an expert about to determine if there is a case and, if so, how much money it is worth.

TexLawyer :

Most personal injury lawyers will take cases on a contingency fee basis, so you don't have to pay any costs unless you win.

TexLawyer :

That will give you a chance to get with an attorney, who will consult with an expert in the field, to make the ultimate determination regarding whether you have a case. If so, you proceed with the litigation process. If not, it won't cost you any money.

Customer:

My friend is a personal trainer and he said the workout was pretty extreme for the 1st workout and for the trainer not knowing anything about me or the way I would react to working out. I am 39 years old 6'2 375 lbs male that has been out of the gym for over a year. I am just worried about the hospital bill since I was there for 3 full days, had an IV the whole time, angiogram, chest xrays, and an EKG.

TexLawyer :

I understand. The bill will likely be quite high. It sounds like you have the potential for a solid case. In my opinion, you should take the next step and seek out a lawyer.

TexLawyer :

If you need help finding a lawyer, you can use www.martindale.com or www.lawyers.com.

TexLawyer :

Both are reputable lawyer referral websites and allow you to search for lawyers by practice area and location.

Customer:

Okay thank you. Can you refer anybody in the Southern California area?

TexLawyer :

See my post above. Just Answer does not allow us to refer customers to specific lawyers.

Customer:

Thank you. You beat me to the punch. lol

TexLawyer :

Glad to help!

TexLawyer :

If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Have a great evening!