NA
NA, NA
Experience:  NA
19717583

Im wondering if there is anything a phone company in a rural

I'm wondering if there is anything a phone company in a rural area is required to do if there service is always going out? For an elderly disabled person who pays for phone service which many times there is no service. Is there any regulation that requires the phone company to provide a free cell phone or anything that can be done?

AttyCBradford :

Hello! There is nothing that is required of the phone company. However, you can ask your cell phone provider to supply you with an airwave device which is designed for individuals in rural areas to get better service when they normall would not be able to

AttyCBradford :

You could ask for it to be discounted

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all of your questions please accept the answer and provide positive feedback. If you have additional questions please do not hesitate to ask

Customer:

I am talking about a land line that is the issue.

AttyCBradford :

Oh I will opt out then ... although I believe that they are available for land lines as well

AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney At Law
Phone companies are required to provide service to rural users. If that service is frequently down, you may want to file a complaint with the CPUC, a California agency that oversees public utilities.

They get more than 100 complaints a day, so don't expect a substantial response, but it's a start.

The phone company is not required to provide a free cell phone if service is disrupted, but there are free cell programs (which include free minutes each month) available for people with low-income:

http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/Telco/Public+Programs/fedlifelinewireless.htm

You can check with any of the four providers listed and ask about their Lifeline plans.

NA, NA
Experience: NA