Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

Hello I am going into court on wed and have video evidence

Customer Question

Hello I am going into court on wed and have video evidence that my husband is lieing about his statement in a domestic abuse matter. I can not afford an attorney since he has all our funds but he had the best councle around. I have to have the video translated to english howeven u dont know how to submit it in court as evidence. This will be a huge suprise to him and his councle since I have kept it quiet. Any help would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

Are you asking the predicate to getting the video admitted?

Customer:

Yes I need to know how to submit it into evidence the day of hearing

JD 1992 :

If you were the one that video taped it you would testify that you were familiar with the operation of the video recorder, knew how to use it and that it was working that day. Normally no one questions this but it doesn't hurt to do it anyway.

JD 1992 :

1) Witness is familiar with the scene, etc. that is portrayed on the videotape and explains the basis for his familiarity.

2) Witness recognizes the scene, etc. that is portrayed on the videotape and testifies that the videotape is a "fair," "accurate," "true," or "good" portrayal of the persons, objects, devices, places, processes, etc. shown.

JD 1992 :

You (or the witness) also need to testify that the audio and video have not been tampered with in any way.

Customer:

No my husband left a hidden camera on adhe tells the story to his friend the story I found the hidden camera by accident and realized that it us only in my favor. So how do I submit it into evidence on Wed.

JD 1992 :

You will just do #1 and #2 and then testify that it hasn't been tampered with. If they object on the basis of hearsay you respond with "Admission by party opponent" and "prior inconsistent statement".

JD 1992 :

That should get it admitted.

Customer:

Should I take a lap top or get the video on a usb drive and provide it that slong with the ttranslation of the parts that is relevant to my point?

JD 1992 :

Either way. You will have to have a way to show it to the judge and each courtroom has different ways for them to view it. You also have to be able to "prove up" the translation so you have to consider that as well.

JD 1992 :

Typically you would have a court approved interpreter there to do the actual translation.

Customer:

Ok thank yoy for your time.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello I have another question I have my declaration ready but Im not sure if I have to submit to the court a day before the trial also do I need to serve my declaration to council on the opposite side?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
What declaration are you referencing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry its my declaration for my dv restraining order case against my husband.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
That depends on the rules of the local court, it can vary from court to court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think they will allow me to submit to the judge and the opposite council the day of hearing or is there some legal way I have to submit.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You should probably submit it ahead of time just to be safe. Usually lawyers submit them early on, even when they file the case so the earlier the better. You can just file it with the clerk and send a copy to the lawyer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your time im sorry if myquestion ate not so clear I just have so much on my mind I have two llittle babys and I am pregnant with my 3rd I am just so nervous because his attorney is really hard on me and I just dont know how mych more stress I can handle.

I paid an attorney but he said he has another case that day so im on my own and this site was my saving grace.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and I'm glad we could assist.