Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I entered a Ph.D. program in September 2005 after having been

Customer Question

I entered a Ph.D. program in September 2005 after having been diagnosed with Cnronic Fatigue and Immue Dysfunction Syndrome in 1993. I have been receiving disability income since then. Between September 2005 and May 2008 I was able to complete all the necessary coursework. By late 2008 my condition worsened and I was unable to finish my comprehensive exams and my dissertation process. By school policy I had until May 2012 to complete my comprehensive exams and dissertation proposal, which I was unable to do, and was forced to withdraw from the program. My condition has improved somewhat and I would like to return to school which would require that I re-apply and complete my work within a year. Even though I had officially enrolled and paid the tuition for my two comprehensive exams and dissertation proposal -- totalling nearly $9,000 -- I was unable to finish due to poor health. To re-enroll school policy requires that I must pay additional tuition which would amount to $9,234, plus $3,078 per semester afterwards while I am writing my dissertation. My questions are: Are there any legal precedents that could allow me to return to school without paying additional tuition for the two comprehensive exams and the dissertation proposal? Does the Americans with Disabilities Act have anything to offer?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank ou for your qustion. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to state that while the ADA mandates the school make reasonable accommodation for those with disabilities, it does not mandate that a person with a disability gets to go to school for free without paying charges that every other student has to pay for. The only recourse you have is to locate a grant or scholarship that would pay the tuition if you cannot afford to pay it or you would have to seek student loans if you like. The reasonable accommodations of the ADA and the other laws on disabled students provides for making educational accommodations not giving waivers on paying tuition or fees I am sorry to state.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.