Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I left a trailer at a local business to have them load a shuttle/crate

Customer Question

I left a trailer at a local business to have them load a shuttle/crate of fertilizer. I asked them if I need to com by and pick it up and was told by one of the employees that he would bring it by my house. They didn't. I went by this morning and thr trailer was gone, no one new where it was and the didn't bother to call to ask me if I had picked it up, or event bother to report it stolen. Trailer value is $1300-1500, it will cost an additional $1300-1500 to replace. Can I make a claim in Texas Small Claims court and how do I go about it?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

You can file a lawsuit against them in small claims court. In Texas that will usually be in the local Justice of the Peace office who has jurisdiction up to $10k.

JD 1992 :

You start the lawsuit by filing a petition and they usually have a form there that you can use. You then have the Sheriff's Department serve it on them and they have about 20 days to file an answer. After that the judge will set it for a hearing.