RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

can I get a lawyer at the same day I have court?

Thank you for your question.

If you are asking if you can have a lawyer appointed for you on your hearing date on a restraining order, no. It is not like criminal court where a defendant may ask the judge to appoint them a lawyer at their initial hearing.

You may, however, be able to find a legal aid office or some local bar associations may also have volunteer lawyer programs. Your court’s family law facilitator or self-help center may also be able to help you respond to the restraining order.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not a defendant. I'm a petitioner. The defendant have a lawyer but I don't. Can I for one at the same day of court.

Thank you for your reply. My apologies for misunderstanding. Unfortunately, my answer is still the same. There is no right to a court appointed attorney in a restraining order matter, so if you wanted a lawyer, you would have to try to get one prior to the hearing date.