Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
20011183

1 am owed $6,700 which is more than small claims court allows

1 am owed $6,700 which is more than small claims court allows can i get a lawyer to represent me

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

You can, but you to ask yourself if it is really going to be worth the costs of hiring an attorney to go after an additional $1700.

I can tell you now that at most attorney rates in Florida, they'll cost much more than $1700 to go to regular state court for you, so the ultimate result is that you'll end up losing money. When I say "a lot more" I mean that they'll cost closer to $3000 or $4000 for a trial, if not more.

So, even if you recovered your full amount of $6700 in a state court trial, you'd owe your attorney $3000 or $4000....and you'll have to pay that even if you don't win. Getting your attorney's fees paid for by the other party is also extremely unrealistic in our system of law, so you can't count on that at all.

Honestly, for that amount of money, you'd be better off going to small claims for just the maximum you can get there because you'd get to keep everything you got.