Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I got a ticket and I hired a lawyer to represent on my behalf.After

Customer Question

I got a ticket and I hired a lawyer to represent on my behalf.After making the payment I accidentally came across his negative reviews online like he missed court appearances for the similar cases and moreover he was even reprimanded once .So, I kind of discussed with him which he totally denied saying it was just some competitor words . Anyways, today was the day he was suppose to attend the court which according to him was postponed to august but when I confirmed it with the admin of the court county she said it is postponed to this month end to a different criminal court .So,I am confused and worried.I would like to know mainly like how to confirm if he did attend the hearing and the date postponed is accurate .How can we check like online ??Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What type of case is this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for responding.It's a speeding ticket in NC- 85 over 65 speed zone.20-141(J1)

Dear CP,

Thank you for your follow up.

This is a serious misdemeanor charge and the best way for you to find out whether the postponement was requested by your attorney or ordered by the court and if your attorney had appeared in court, is to actually visit the local cirminal court where your case is pending and you will be able to request your actual court file from the clerk of court, so you can examine for yourself whether or not your lawyer had appeared at the court hearing and when your next court hearing is.

Also, if you do not trust this attorney and this attorney has a bad track record or history or reprimands or complaints, you should consider hiring another reputable local attorney that you could trust.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Dear CP,

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

Hope you got my follow up question.

Thanks

Dear CP,

Unfortunately, I did not get your follow up question, it could have been due to some techinical glitch with the website.

Can you please type up your follow up question and submit it to me again?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

Sorry about that.Appreciate your time ,patience and valuable suggestions.

Here are my questions.What will happen if my lawyer fails to appear on the postponed date and what will be the consequences?

Will it be fine if I go for a new lawyer meantime and request the current lawyer for a refund ?

Thanks.

Dear CP,

Thank you for your follow up.

If you lawyer does not appear and you are in court without your lawyer present, you would be able to ask the court to continue your case, so you can obtain new counsel and the court would generally grant your request and also will inquire into why your lawyer is not there without any notice or valid reason.

So if this happens, you could hire another lawyer and demand a full refund from your current lawyer and if your current lawyer refuses to refund all of your money, you would be able to file a formal complaint with the North Carolina State Bar and also you would be able to file a lawsuit against your lawyer in the local small claims court (providing the fees that you have paid is under $5,000).

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Sir for your timely suggestions.Appreciate it.

Dear CP,

Thank you and I wish you the best of luck!