P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

I am a cab driver in Las Vegas. I had someone leave a backpack

I am a cab driver in Las Vegas. I had someone leave a backpack in my Cab. Valued items were a lab top, digital camera and $4000 in cash in currency exchange envelopes. I turned it into my companys lost and found. They told me I would have to wait 3 months to claim these items if they were not claimed by the owner. I was told a few weeks later they had made contact with the owner via email. They explained to him that he needed to arrange shipping. I check on these items just this last Tuesday and my companys HR department told me that they still have this items and they have not heard back from the owner or received shipping arrangements. Unfortunately, I was just let go from my company yesterday and I was told that I cannot claim these items at the 3 months since I am not a current employee even though I was the finder of this property. I need to know what the laws are on Lost and Found items like this and if theres anything I can do????

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Las Vegas cabbie, Ciara
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

l am sorry to have to bear bad news

You will not have a right to claim this property. That is because you were an employee of the company, they have the right to set policy on how unclaimed property is distributed.

THe law that applies is the following

NAC 706.551  Drivers: Search of vehicle after trip; disposition of property found. (NRS(NNN) NNN-NNNN  Each driver shall conduct a search of the interior of his taxicab at the termination of each trip. If the driver discovers any property of a passenger in the taxicab, the driver shall immediately report the property discovered to his employer and, as soon as practicable, deliver the property to his employer. The employer shall maintain the property in his possession and dispose of the property in the manner provided by law.

SO the law required you to provide the property to the company. The company then becomes the "bailee" and they have a legal duty to attempt to return the property to the owner. IF they are not able to do so, they become the owner of the property and can dispose of it has they choose.

If they have a policy that you have to work for the company to collect abandoned property, they can enforce that it would not do you any good to sue them to try and force them to give it to you

Again, sorry to have to bear bad news.

Let me know if you have more questions