ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

We had an oil lease and drilled a well 25 years ago. I need

We had an oil lease and drilled a well 25 years ago. I need a legal form to cross someone's land for the oil commission to see. What form would I use?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Just to be clear, this land that would be crossed is owned by someone who would be willing to allow access? That is, the landowner who would be giving permission is fine with giving permission for this purpose?

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?

ScottyMacEsq :

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response.

Customer:

the landowner has agreed access

ScottyMacEsq :

What is the purpose of the access?

Customer:

We must plug the well.

ScottyMacEsq :

You mentioned for the oil commission to see, but do you mean the oil commission to see the well or to see the access license?

ScottyMacEsq :

And what state is this in?

Customer:

The oil commission may require to see the form, but it is for our use in case someone asks. The landowner lives in another state and no one lives on the property. The well is in Arkansas.

Customer:

I want to mail the landowner a form to sign to say we have permission to be on his land while we do this work.

ScottyMacEsq :

thank you. Since the landowner is agreeable to this situation, the agreement can be very short. In essence, all it needs to say is "I, [landowner name], for $10 and other good and valuable consideration, agree to give [your name] right to traverse my property situated at [property location] to access his well on the property adjoining my property. This license will be effective MM/DD/YYYY and will expire X months later, or when [your name] no longer requires access. Signed, [landowner name]"

ScottyMacEsq :

in short, this agreement would be a valid binding contract, and he cannot revoke it. If there was merely a form that gratuitously gave you the right to traverse the property, he could revoke that at any time.

Customer:

Okay, that should work.

Customer:

Thanks

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

You're welcome, and again, good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Customer:

No. I think that answered it. I will type something up along your guidelines. Excellent help.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney