Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I lived in this owners apartment for 1 year and then I moved

I lived in this owner's apartment for 1 year and then I moved away. After a year I decided to come back. Even though I was paying $700.00 a month the first time I was living there, I had to pay $750.00 this time because she didn't like the way my friend had cleaned the apartment the first time, So she added $25.00 a month extra onto the rent. Then she added $25.00 more a month onto that because my neighbor was allergic to cats. So the $750.00 a month. Now my neighbor is only paying $650.00 a month. Can the landlord do this to me?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Is this a new lease that you entered into after your original lease expired and you moved elsewhere?
.
Did the landlord tell you what the rent was going to be prior to any lease being signed?
.
Or did the landlord try to increase the rent after a lease was signed?
.
Did you agree to lease the property for the $750?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes this is a new lease. Yes, No, the kicker is she forgot the lease for me to sign. So there is no lease at this time.

Ok, I am sorry to say it, but the landlord can legally charge a tenant however much rent they choose to for a tenancy. There is no law that says that a landlord has to charge the tenant the same amount as a previous lease or the same as other tenants. As long as they aren't doing this based on a legally prohibited discriminatory reason (age, gender, race, physical disability, religion, etc.) then they can charge whatever they want. They can give Tenant A free rent and charge Tenant B $1000 a month if they want to.
.
But if there is no signed written lease, then you would be under a month to month oral lease. That means that either party can terminate the lease with a 30 day written notice if they choose to. So you aren't tied to that apartment for over 30 days if you decide to move. The downside is that the landlord could evict you after giving a 30 day notice to terminate too..
.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help and you're welcome for the rating and bonus.