Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

i live in michigan, there has been a car parked infront of

i live in michigan, there has been a car parked infront of my apartment with no plates for a while. there is no asigned parking. can i as a resident call and have it towed?

Thank you for the information and your question. You would not have the legal authority to have the vehicle towed since it is not yours and the property it is parked on is not yours. However, you could, if the rental office will not do anything about it, call the police and file a report of an untagged abandoned vehicle and see if the police will tow the vehicle. The best thing though is to first try to get the apartment management to get it towed or contact the owner to have it moved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the apartment complex have to give it a 24 hour tag? and does it have to have legal plates to be towed?

Hello again and thank you for the follow up. Whether the apartment complex has to give the 24 hour tag notice really depends on whether they can determine if this belongs to a current tenant by having the vin number or other id traced. If it is a current resident, then I am fairly sure they have been given something that says unauthorized vehicles will be towed or untagged vehicles will be towed. In that case, there would be no requirement to give notice. That said, it is common practice to put the notice on the vehicle to save the hassle and expense to all parties in having it towed.

I don't really understand your second question, which was "does it have to have legal plates to be towed?" The only reason to tow it would be if it didn't have legal plates or any plates.