P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

I live in Montana and have a storage unit. We pay our unit

I live in Montana and have a storage unit. We pay our unit about 10 to 12 days late each month but with the owners permission as he knows our checks don't come in till that time of the month. He had a new accounting firm take over his books two months ago. We are paid up on our unit till this month which will be paid in 4 days. We went to get some things out of our unit and there is another lock on it and some of our things were outside on the ground broken. So we know someone has been in it. We have an entire woodworking shop in this unit with about $30,000 to $40,000 worth of tools in it plus part of our household furniture.. What is the law in Montana on time before they have a right to enter and go through our things for sale. Or do you think it has been broken into? thank you. Jean Closs
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Montana law is 30 days. That is, under MT law, the owner of the self storage unit can sell the contents of the unit in order to recoup the money owed for storage.

And the rules require notice. The law provides

notice of the date, time, place, terms, and description of the property must be published in a newspaper in the county in which the property to be sold is located. The notice must be published once a week for 2 weeks prior to the day of the sale.

So in theory, if a person was late for 2 weeks, they could run the notice for the next 2 weeks then hold the auction at the 30 day mark.

But not before...

So if you were not 30 days late, they have no authority to see your stuff. None.

It sounds like it may have been broken into...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are calling the sheriffs dept. to meet us at the unit and inspect it. I hope it was not broken into. It was a life's work in that unit. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.