Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

My divorce lawyer was with me for 7 weeks and ran through my

Customer Question

My divorce lawyer was with me for 7 weeks and ran through my retainer of 9300. He sent no invoice but when I fired him he said there was no money left and in fact I owed him money. At 250/hr we spent 10 court hours, the rest of his charges were for emails and phone messages from me. I tried to contact him many times but only because his office phone went to voice mail as his assistant was there only very part time and his cell phone would not accept messages(he left a recording on the cell phone with that message). After I fired him he said he thought that my claim that I had hired another attorney was "delusional" and he could not "abandon" me and would ask for a guardian ad litem because I was incompetent. This was really frightening plus would have added to my legal fees as well as playing into my husband's anger which would have sabotaged my case. Are these grounds for filing a grievance in CT?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

According to the limited facts you have stated, it would appear that you might have valid grounds to file a Bar Grievance Complaint and I would suggest that you do follow up with Ct. State Bar to check on the progress of their investigation into your complaint.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Limited facts? What information would help you ? You have not read carefully and no, I have not filed a grievance...that has been my question to you as to whether or not I have grounds. I told you that I filed for fee arbitration which is an entirely different matter and jurisdiction.

I don't pay for "good lucks" and "might" and "maybe" but for information.

You have given me nothing.