Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

If you are in a civil lawsuit and there are criminal aspects.

If you are in a civil lawsuit and there are criminal aspects. can you press charges while your civil suit is still going on?

Yes, if there is evidence of criminal conduct by one of the parties, there is no bar to filing a criminal complaint with the police or the local prosecutor, even if the parties are engaged in a civil suit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told by multiple parties that I had to wait to the civil suit was over, including a detective? why would he tell me that? It involves fraud and conspiracy to commit fraud...

I am not sure who you have spoken to, however, the detective, is not an attorney, so he cannot give you legal advice. I am not your attorney either, so I can't give you legal advice in your case. However, I can tell you that from a legal or jurisdictional perspective, there is nothing that prohibits filing a criminal complaint whether there is a civil case going on or not. However, from a tactical standpoint and from a case management standpoint, the civil attorney representing the party who wants to file criminal charges, may want them to wait.