Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My husband is in an internet club of tobacco connoisseurs who

My husband is in an internet club of tobacco connoisseurs who roll their own cigarettes using fine tobacco. He is planning to buy a larger quantity of fine tobacco from a reputable store in Cambridge, MA, repackage it and resell it to his buddies. He will mail these packages through the USPS, not deal with taxes, and make a small profit. He does not have any sort of resale license. I think he can get in trouble for doing this. Tobacco is a heavily regulated item.
Worried wife.

Kirk Adams :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Kirk Adams :

You are correct that tobacco is a highly regulated commodity, and in order for your husband to be able to legally sell tobacco products, he would need a sales permit from the local city/county authorities.

Kirk Adams :

Also, he would have to apply for a license through the Mass. Dept of Revenue. There are multiple licenses that are out there, which you can find here:

Kirk Adams :

Thus, to be 100% legal, he would have to go through all of these hoops. It is a hassle, but if he were to get caught selling these items, he would likely be fined and penalized for failing to obtain a license.