LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

While signing my divorce dicree can I write a short statement

Customer Question

While signing my divorce dicree can I write a short statement of regret next to my signature?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. What is it that you want to write and what is the need/basis for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I basically want to say I'm sorry in about 3 sentences.

Thank you for the additional information. Nothing should be added to the decree or modified without the courts permission. There is nothing wrong with an apology or saying you are sorry but it should be done in a separate writing, given to the other party, when you feel it is appropriate. There is no legal basis to add this next to your signature and you should keep it out. The divorce decree is going to be signed by the Judge and a legally binding document/order. As such, there is no need to include this statement within.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not exactly the answer I wanted to hear but I accept it. It does bother me though that she filed for insupportability when she was the one with the affair. Can I amend this?

I do understand. She did this to likely obtain a no fault divorce to make the process that much easier. It means the spouses' personalities conflict and destroy a marriage so that there's no reasonable expectation of reconciliation. I certainly see why you would want to bring forward the real reason of the divorce but that would be at your discretion to attack this and contest it, thus making it a much longer process.