Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

My best friends sister is an escort who advertises on Backpage,

My best friend's sister is an escort who advertises on Backpage, as well as other sites. She never travels out to the person, but they always come to her hotel. Today's Denver Post featured an article detailing a sting operation which resulted in the arrest of 21 "prostitutes." She now has a very legitimate fear of being caught. What are the laws regarding solicitation? More specifically, how can she KNOW FOR SURE if her client is a cop once he is in her hotel room? What are the ways she can keep herself from being arrested? She is very careful and particular about the clients she will see, but we all care about her and do not want her to go to jail. How can she keep herself free of a run-in with the cops?
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

As I suspect you know, it is against the law for a person to offer any sexual services in exchange for money. As an example, it would be against the law to offer to have sexual intercourse with another person for a fee.

.

I suppose the best answer here would be for your friend's sister to not engage in illegal activities. However, assuming that isn't going to happen, there are certainly things she can do to protect herself. In most cases where an arrest has occurred, there will be a conversation between the undercover officer and the escort about money, this would typically include a discussion of specific sex acts and specific amounts of money.

.

There is a common belief that police officers cannot lie, especially as to their identity. Meaning, the must admit that they are cops if asked. This is false, cops can lie about this issue. However, there are some things cops cannot do, they cannot engage in any sex acts, they cannot fondle the other person and they cannot disrobe. These are certainly things that should be taken into consideration.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law