Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

I am tenant in common owner with someone, I want to sell, he

I am tenant in common owner with someone, I want to sell, he wants to buy my portion,we trying to negociate a price. He is using the property rent free. How do I prevent him utilizing the property until we can establish a reasonable price?

There is nothing you can do about your co-tenant's possession and use of the property since he has equal right of possession with you; however, a tenant in common has the absolute right to bring a court action to partition the property and sell it for its fair market value. The owners would then split the proceeds, after all costs and credits, if any, have been applied.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.