dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
29685164

Is there any recourse if you rent an apartment to a university

Is there any recourse if you rent an apartment to a university student on a foreign visit and they leave still owing money?

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Great question. You need to file a lawsuit agaist the tenant/student and get a judgement. Once you get the judgment, it is good for ten years. And when you learn that the student has returned, you can try to execute the judgment to enforce payment. However, because it is not criminal (not paying rent) you cannot file anyting with the State department that would interfer with his ability to return. Sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much.....that's pretty much what I thought.....thanks for your quick response!