Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can I sue Amazon.com over money that they are holding in my Amazon

Customer Question

Can I sue Amazon.com over money that they are holding in my Amazon seller account for 90 days if I want that money released earlier, so that Amazon cannot profit from my earnings? There have been recent cases filed against Amazon due to this problem in other states, states that have limitations on how long a money transmitter can hold on to money owed. How long can a money transmitter hold on to money owed to customer in the State of Pennsylvania? Would my case against Amazon hold up in small claims court, if Amazon is holding my money without legal justification?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I happen to be a Pennsylvania licensed professional and will try to help.

This is a situation that is based on contract law. In essence if you signed an agreement permitting Amazon to hold your funds, they are able to do so. Pennsylvania, as yet, has no case law on this as the current stance is to defer to the written terms in the agreement. Your case would hold up if you have nothing in writing expressly permitting them to hold the funds--then this becomes both a replevin and a breach of contract claim. This isn't conversion as they aren't actively stealing, merely holding onto the funds too long.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand that, but does Pennsylvania have any laws specifically pertaining to money transmitters? In the State of Washington apparently, there are laws specifically restricting how long a money transmitter can hold on to the money that they owe to you (http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2020568463_amazonsellersuitxml.html). Are there any statutes or is there any case law at all that can help you recover money that a money transmitter is required to refund? Are there any limitations that money transmitters are bound by in Pennsylvania in terms of holding on to funds?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response, but your previous expert, who is a licensed attorney in Pennsylvania, cannot respond because you clicked on Opt Out. If you want him to respond, please opt him back in and he will gladly do so and comment on the PA laws.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, he is opted in. Please answer my question thoroughly and clearly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, does anyone have an answer for me?