ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can I press charges in America against an American citizen

Can I press charges in America against an American citizen who stole my (I am an American citizen as well) property in Poland?. He was caught by the local police, pleaded guilty and is awaiting a trial. He was released on his own recognizance. My property has not been recovered. He agreed to compensate a small portion of the value of my property in exchange for dropping charges. This individual is a member of The Lakatosz Crime Family from Brooklyn, NY. The scam artist targeted my 78-year old mother in Poland, who went to the bank, emptied my safety deposit box, and gave everything to him. Most likely he will go free with a suspended sentence.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, no US court, state or Federal, would have jurisdiction over the case. The location of the crime is where the prosecution would commence.

ScottyMacEsq :

So even though the parties involved would both be American citizens, since the crime did not occur on American soil, no US court or prosecutor would have jurisdiction over the case.

ScottyMacEsq :

While you can "press" charges, a prosecutor could not validly take the case and actually prosecute the wrongdoer.

ScottyMacEsq :

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!