Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

IF a bylaws proposal is properly noticed, and it is defeated

IF a bylaws proposal is properly noticed, and it is defeated by the members who, if any, has the authority to amend the motion and resubmit to the members without it becoming a new motion subject to the required notice?
Thank you for your new question and for asking for me.

If a bylaw is defeated as written, absent a clause in the bylaws to the contrary, any member may move to amend the bylaw proposal from the floor. The way it works is that a bylaw can be introduced and discussed and the original bylaw would be voted on and then a motion to amend the bylaw can be made from the floor by any member.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bylaws require 45 day notice for amendments to the bylaws. Is there any time when only the original proposer can amend the defeated motion without it becoming a new motion requiring the aforementioned 45 day notice?

Thank you for your response.

The bylaws require notice to propose an amendment to the bylaws, but if a bylaw is proposed on a topic and the membership wants to amend that proposal that is different than proposing an amendment to the bylaws themselves, they are proposing an amendment to a proposed bylaw amendment. It seems like mincing words, but any proposed bylaw amendment can be amended from the floor by any member including the original member who proposed it.