Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

What is the best approach to handle a contractor who lied about

What is the best approach to handle a contractor who lied about being licensed and bonded, took a bunch of money up front for materials and downpayment and in 5 months has not delivered one thing, including materials or receipts for materials and has torn multiple rooms in my house up. So far there are 3 other victims that I've become aware of. Should I file a Limited Action suite is Wyandotte Co Kansas City KS. If so, how is that done
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm sorry for your troubles with this dishonest contractor.

Since Kansas doesn't have a state licensing board for contractors, there's no regulatory agency that you can report to/file a complaint or try to get his license revoked.

Instead, your only option would be to sue the contractor for breach of contract, fraud, intentional misrepresentation and possibly other causes of action for your money back, as well as for damages for any collateral damages related to the fraud of the contractor.

You should consider hiring an attorney in your area to sue this contractor on your behalf; you should have the ability to seek your attorneys fees from the contractor as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I sue and he has no income, are other assets options for collecting what he owes me?

Once you obtain a judgment against him, you can collect from him in many ways - - wage garnishments, bank levys, writs of execution against personal property/assets, etc. Thus, if the person has anything of value, you can generally attach it, sell it and take the money to apply to your judgment.

Also, if you get a judgment for fraud, the contractor could not discharge the judgment in bankruptcy, which would make it very hard for this person to get around paying you.